Monday 15 September 2014

Patchwork Blanket Border



I mentioned in my previous Patchwork Additions post that I wanted to add a border to my blanket. The pattern I chose to use was from the same Crocheted Afghan which book I borrowed from the library in my previous post. The pattern was actually for an entire blanket made up of small squares, which is pictured on the front cover, but I figured I could make it would work as a border as well. 



I decided as the blanket has lots of light and bright colours mixed together, I wanted the border to be a darker colour to tone it down a little without clashing, so I used some navy blue yarn that I had.

Each of these little squares measures roughly 7cm, so I did a little maths and worked out I'd need 8 squares for each short side and 11 for each long side, then 4 for the corners; 42 squares in total. However after 39 squares I ran out of my navy blue yarn. As I had enough squares to cover the sides I chose a lighter blue to do the corners.

  

Once I had all the squares made, I joined them together in strips and pinned them to the blanket edge to make sure they were evenly placed, then sewed them on! I am really pleased with the way the blanket has turned out and I think the blue border frames it perfectly. I feel as though I could leave it for a while now, because it looks finished, but I'm sure sooner or later I will start adding to it. Watch this space.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment