Saturday 23 August 2014

Patchwork Additions


This week it really hit me that something about my patchwork really didn't look right, and I realised I no longer liked the bobble yarn patch (post here) and I wanted to replace it. To get some inspiration, I went to the library I took out a book with crochet afghan patterns and found a pretty flower blanket:



There were two types of flowers, and I preferred the rose style flower. I chose my colours and made a square from the pattern, then I added some triple crochet to two of the edges to make it a more rectangular shape. Then I continued going around the edge with triple crochet until the piece was the size I needed for the blanket.



Once I had replaced my centre square, I only needed one more to finish the entire centre section of the blanket. I wanted to add in some more purple, but wanted to keep it simple. I used 4.25mm needles, cast on 31 stitches, then alternated 5 knit and 5 purl, then each line I moved the knits and purls over one stitch to create a diagonal stripe effect:



I am really pleased with how both squares turned out; I was particularly proud of making my first crochet piece from written instructions alone (no video tutorials) and I used the speed knitting technique to make my knitted patch.

Now have 15 squares making up the centre of my blanket, the next thing I want to do is make a border to go around these squares to straighten the whole thing up and stop the edges curling over etc.

It's about the right size for a baby blanket, but I want an adult size blanket, so once the border's done I will start adding more squares. around the outside.


2 comments:

  1. What a cool concept! I'm impressed that you were able to create such a gorgeous square just from written directions! You go girl! Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

    ReplyDelete